Silver Linings Playbook Quotes


"I do this! Time after time after time! I do all this shit for other people! And then I wake up and I'm empty! I have nothing!"

Pat:  How old are you?
Tiffany:  Old enough to have a marriage end and not wind up in a mental hospital.

"There's always going to be a part of me that's sloppy and dirty, but I like that. With all the other parts of myself. Can you say the same about yourself, fucker? Can you forgive? Are you any good at that?"

Pat:  You have poor social skills. You have a problem.
Tiffany:  I have a problem? You say more inappropriate things than appropriate things.

Tiffany:  You know, for a while, I thought you were the best thing that ever happened to me. But now I'm starting to think you're the worst.
Pat:  Of course you do. Come on, let's go dance.

"The only way to beat my crazy was by doing something even crazier. Thank you. I love you. I knew it from the moment I saw you. I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up."

"I'm just a crazy slut with a dead husband!"

"Humanity is just nasty, and there's no silver lining."

"You know what? Forget I offered to help you. Forget the entire fucking idea. Because that must have been fucking crazy, because I'm so much crazier than you!"

"I'm going to come over and break that camera over your head, and come back and interview you about what it's like to have that camera broken over your head."

"It means, you know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna take all this negativity and I'm gonna use it as fuel, I'm gonna find a silver lining, that's what I'm gonna do. And that's no bullshit. That's no bullshit. That takes work and that's the truth."

Pat: Stupid fucking book!  I just can't believe Nikki's teaching that book to the kids. I mean the whole time, let me just break it down for you, the whole time you're rooting for this Hemingway guy to survive the war and to be with the woman that he loves, Catherine Barkley...
Dolores: It's four o'clock in the morning, Pat.
Pat: ...and he does. He does. He survives the war, after getting blown up he survives it,
and he escapes to Switzerland with Catherine. But now Catherine's pregnant. Isn't that wonderful? She's pregnant. And they escape up into the mountains and they're gonna be happy, and they're gonna be drinking wine and they dance, they both like to dance with each other. There's scenes of them dancing, which was boring, but I liked it, because they were happy. You think he ends it there? No! He writes another ending. She dies, dad! I mean, the world's hard enough as it is, guys. It's fucking hard enough as it is. Can't somebody say, "Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to the story?"
Dolores: Pat, you owe us an apology.
Pat: Mom, I...for what, I can't apologize. I'm not gonna apologize for this. You know what I will do? I will apologize on behalf of Ernest Hemingway, because that's who's to blame here.
Pat Sr.: Yeah, have Ernest Hemingway call us and apologize to us, too.

"So yeah, I snapped. I almost beat him to death. But then I get fucking chastised for it?"

Pat: You okay?
Ronnie: I'm not okay. Don't tell anybody. Listen to me. I feel like I'm getting crushed and...
Pat: Crushed by what?
Ronnie: Everything. The family, the baby, the job, the fucking dicks at work. And it's like, you know, like I'm trying to do this, you know, and...and...and then I'm like...suffocating.
Pat: Holy shit.
Ronnie: You can't be happy all the time.
Pat: Who told you you can't be happy?
Ronnie: It's alright. You just do your best, you have no choice.
Pat: That's not true at all.
Ronnie: You just can't.
Pat: Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie!

Veronica: I can play music for the baby in any room.
Pat: Can you play "Ride the Lightning" by Metallica?

"You felt it, I felt it, don't lie. We're not liars like they are."

"Go back to sleep. The party's over. Show's over."

"You may not have experienced the shit that I did. But you loved hearing about it, didn't you? You are afraid to be alive, you're afraid to live. You're a hypocrite. You're a conformist. You're a liar. I opened up to you and you judged me."

"Look, sometimes it's okay with girls like this, they wanna have fun and sometimes it's not because they got a broken wing, and they're hurt, and they're an easy target. And in this case, this particular case, I think that wing is being fixed, my friend.  And you gotta make sure it gets mended. And you're gettin' in the way of that right now, okay? Because she's sensitive and she's smart, she's artistic. This is a great girl and you gotta be respectful of that."

"Let me ask you something. Do you call him when you're lonely?  That encourages him, Tiffany. You shouldn't do it."

Ronnie:  And then when I'm angry, which is a lot these days, I go to the garage. Metallica. Megadeth. I start fucking smashing shit.
Pat:  You gotta get your marriage together.
Ronnie:  I start breaking shit, and I hurt my hand. And I...
Pat:  Ronnie, that's fucked up.
Ronnie:  Yeah, but it makes me feel better. It's like my therapy, you know?

Tiffany: Yes. Do you feel that? That's emotion.
Pat: I don't feel anything.

"I'm not gonna fight. I'm not gonna fight."

"She's fucking nuts! When you started spending time with her, it all fell apart. This is the fucking reason right here."

"Let me tell you, I know you don't wanna listen to your father, I didn't listen to mine and I'm telling you, you gotta pay attention to the signs. When life reaches out with a moment like this, it's a sin if you don't reach back. I'm telling you, it's a sin if you don't reach back, and it'll haunt you for the rest of your days like a curse. You're facing a big challenge in your life right now, at this very moment, right here. That girl loves you, she really really loves you. And I don't know if Nikki ever did, but she sure as hell doesn't love you right now. And I'm telling you, don't fuck this up."