Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

But some might say, where was Tess's guardian Angel? Where was the providence of her simple faith? Perhaps... he was talking, or he was pursuing, or he was in a journey, or he was sleeping and not to be awaked... As Tess's own people down in those retreats are never tired of saying among each other in their fatalistic way: 'It was to be.'

He did not mention it because he was afraid of endangering his chance of her - the great prize of his life.

O, you have torn my life all to pieces, made me be what I prayed you in pity not to make me be again!

How can I pray for you, when I am forbidden to believe that the great Power who moves the world would alter his plans on my account?

My life looks as if it had been wasted for want of chances!

You are very good. But it strikes me that there is a want of harmony between your present mood of self-sacrifice and your past mood of self-preservation.

She would have laid down her life for thee.

You, and those like you, take your fill of pleasure on earth by making the life of such as me bitter and black with sorrow; and then it is a fine thing, when you have had enough of that, to think of securing your pleasure in heaven by becoming converted!

Rays from the sunrise drew forth the buds and stretched them into long stalks, lifted up sap in noiseless streams, opened petals, and sucked out scents in invisible jets and breathings.

O why have you treated me so monstrously, Angel ! I do not deserve it. I have thought it all over carefully, and I can never, never forgive you! You know that I did not intend to wrong you - why have you so wronged me? You are cruel, cruel indeed! I will try to forget you. It is all injustice I have received at your hands!

The two speechless gazers bent themselves down to the earth, as if in prayer, and remained there a long time, absolutely motionless: the flag continued to wave silently. As soon as they had strength they arose, joined hands again, and went on.

Too late, too late.

'THY, DAMNATION, SLUMBERETH, NOT.'

And the d'Urberville knights and dames slept on in their tombs unknowing.