C.S. Lewis Quotes

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."

"Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours. "

"The real problem is not why some pious, humble, believing people suffer, but why some do not."

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people."

"To be discontinuous from God as I am discontinuous from you would be annihilation."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

"The worst attitude of all would be the professional attitude which regards children in the lump as a sort of raw material which we have to handle."

"I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

"For whatever else the religious life may be, it is the fountain of self-knowledge and disillusion, the safest form of psychoanalysis."

"Though we cannot experience our life as an endless present, we are eternal in God's eyes; that is, in our deepest reality."

"'We do not truly see light, we only see slower things lit by it, so that for us light is on the edge--the last thing we know before things become too swift for us.'"

"It was when I was happiest that I longed most. The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing... to find the place where all the beauty came from."

"Nothing is yet in its true form."

"Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that's the whole art and joy of words."

"I had known Redival's tears ever since I could remember. They were not wholly feigned, nor much dearer than ditchwater.... It's likely enough she meant less mischief than she had done (she never knew how much she meant) and was now, in her fashion, sorry; but a new brooch, much more a new lover, would have had her drying her eyes and laughing in no time."

"Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?"